Wednesday, February 9, 2011

It is almost Valentine's Day!

My memories of Valentine's Day are positive. I can remember heart shaped boxes of candy with a plastic flower and a lace doily on top, and several cards with puppies and bunnies on them.

Since I am an all grown up lady now - Valentine's Day means something else to me than it used to. I remember when Beloved and I were first married I used to think about him giving me roses and boxes of candy, and us going out for romantic suppers. Now that we have been married a while longer, I find myself thinking of Valentine's Day in much different terms.

Beloved loves me every day. He shows me that he loves me each and everyday. He gets up and goes to work each and everyday. He prays for me and our children each and everyday. He comes home to me and lets me tell him each detail of my fascinating (hahahaha!) day everyday.

1Corinthians 13:4-8

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

The love that Beloved shares with me is 1Corinthians love, it is heart shaped and it doesn't go out to fancy suppers. It eats meatloaf and says that this is his favorite supper. It offers to pick up a child who is out at night with friends because I am scared to drive at night. It helps to fix the dryer with only a youtube video for instruction.


I know now, that this is the very best kind of love, and the rose and candy sellers can count me out this Valentine's Day - I will be eating a homemade supper and holding hands with the love of my life.

Mrs J

No comments:

Post a Comment