High school football season is drawing to a close in our area. This has not been the senior season that my oldest Blessing could have dreamed of or imagined. He has given his all to the team and to his coaches, but even with that the team is not winning.
I don't know why. I can't answer what is causing them to not perform as they want to, or are capable of, but I do know that losing is proving to me and others what kind of character the team has.
Remarkably, I have been thrilled for the most part by what I have seen. Young men who are rising to the occasion of encouraging the team when there is no hope of winning. And even more important to me is the behavior of my son.
Our son is reserved. He is not the loud bragging guy who can lift a team into a frenzy. He doesn't yell, scream or shout in joy or praise from the sidelines. What our son does that speaks to my heart is that he shows up.
He shows up when it is wet, cold and nasty outside.
He shows up when it is humid, hot and the sun burns his skin.
He shows up when they have lost an important game, and it is time to watch the film of that game.
He is first in, last out.
It is a testimony to what my Beloved has taught my sons - Men are steadfast, determined, and loyal. They never leave tasks unfinished, don't stop fighting until the battle is over, and most importantly they give all they have until they have nothing left.
We might not have a winning football season to show for our son, but we most certainly have a winning son.
And that is the victory that I have prayed for since before he was born.
~BA~
No comments:
Post a Comment